This recipe is all about fluffiness. I love this word so much and even more when it’s to describe dessert, bread, cake or in this case pancakes! Eating those is like eating a cloud of happiness. It’s fluffy, cozy and delicious. Of course, you can choose your topping. Maple syrup, caramel, little berries, you decide! Once you have the pancakes, everything else is just adding a little extra to a perfect delight.
- 1 ½ cup sifted unbleached flour
- 2 egg yolks
- 3 egg whites
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp fine sea salt
- 2 tbsp melted butter and a bit more for cooking the pancakes
- 1 tsp vanilla extract.
- In a bowl put the egg yolks, milk, mayonnaise, melted butter and the vanilla extract. Mix until all the ingredients look perfectly combined. Add the sifted flour, salt and baking powder and continue blending until everything is combined.
- In another large bowl, beat the egg whites and the sugar with an electric mixer at medium-high speed until peaks form. Peaks must be stiff.
- Gently, fold the meringue within the pancake mix with a spatula. Add the meringue little by little, about one third at the times. Don’t put it all at once. Be careful, you don’t want to over mix it and lose the structure. You must have an airy and light texture.
- Grease 2 ring moulds with butter and put them on a skillet. Bring your skillet to low heat and put butter inside the moulds. Fill each mould to 2/3. The pancakes are ready to flip when they look almost done. You will see bubbles on top. Use a spatula to flip them, it will help. Cook for about another 2 minutes until it’s golden. You must be careful with the heat because if you put it too hot, the pancakes will burn before being ready to flip. They need to cook slowly.
- Gently push the pancake out of their moulds and watch yourself not to burn your fingers on the moulds. Use linen or mittens.
- Garnish with your favourite topping!
Voilà! Your clouds of happiness are now ready to get your day starting the best way you could imagine.
Here you can enjoy a little selection of cooking tools I chose for you! I like to shop kitchen stuff and love sharing with you my favourites.